Wednesday, April 30, 2008

CKBY is a Canadian radio station, which airs a country music format at 101.1 FM in Smiths Falls and Ottawa, Ontario. The station is owned by Rogers Communications, and uses the brand name Y101.
The station was launched in 1969 as CJET-FM, a sister station to the AM radio station CJET, and changed its callsign to CKUE in the early 1970s.
In 1984, the stations were acquired by CHEZ-FM Inc., the owner of Ottawa's CHEZ. In 1986, CKUE changed its callsign to CHEQ.
In 1993, CHEZ acquired rights to the callsign and format of CFMO, an easy listening station in Ottawa which CHUM Limited had converted to hot adult contemporary CKKL.
In 1999, the CHEZ group of stations were acquired by Rogers Communications. At the end of the year, Rogers converted the station to a modern rock format, using the callsign CIOX and the brand name Xfm. The station's facilities were moved into Ottawa, and in 2001, the CRTC found that by operating CIOX as an Ottawa station, Rogers was in contravention of market concentration rules about the number of radio stations in a single market that can be owned by the same company. As a result, the CRTC ordered Rogers to return the station to Smiths Falls.
On January 9, 2004, the station adopted its current format when Rogers converted the former CKBY in Ottawa to the current CISS. 101.1 became CKBY, and 105.3 became CISS a month later after the format change.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Portal (architecture)
Portal is a general term describing an opening in the walls of a building, gate or fortification, and especially a grand entrance to an important structure. Doors, metal gates or portcullis in the opening can be used to control entry or exit. The surface surounding the opening may be made of simple building materials or decorated with ornamentation. The elements of a portal can include the voussoir, tympanum, an ornamented mullion or trumeau between doors, and columns with carvings of saints in the westwork of a church.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Anton Drexler (13 June 1884 - 24 February 1942) was a German Nazi political leader of the 1920s.

Anton DrexlerAnton Drexler Biography
Born in Munich, Drexler was a machine-fitter before becoming a railway locksmith in Berlin in 1902. He joined the Fatherland Party during World War I. He was a poet and a member of the völkisch agitators who, together with journalist Karl Harrer, founded the German Workers' Party (DAP) in Munich with Gottfried Feder and Dietrich Eckart in 1919. He was also a brewer but did not have much involvement with the Drexler Breweries, one of Bavaria's most popular breweries at the time.
At a meeting of the Party in Munich in September 1919, the main speaker was Gottfried Feder. When he had finished speaking, a member of the audience whose name is lost to history stood up and suggested that Bavaria should break away from Prussia and form a separate nation with Austria. Adolf Hitler).

Friday, April 25, 2008

International Waffle Day
International Waffle Day was started in Sweden where it is known as Våffeldagen. It is annually held on March 25.
The Annunciation of the Virgin Mary was once called "Vårfrudagen" (Our Lady's Day) in Swedish. In certain dialects, the word "Vårfrudagen" was pronounced as "Våfferdagen" [1], Over time the word became "Våffeldagen" (Waffle Day), giving rise to the tradition of eating waffles on this day.
Chris Matthewson, mayor of Waltz, Michigan, declared "International Waffle Day" an official holiday of the small village in March of 2006.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Besarabsky Market
Coordinates: 50°27′32″N, 30°31′5″E
The Besarabsky Market (Ukrainian: Бесарабський ринок, translit.: Besarabs'kyi rynok), also frequently called Besarabka (Ukrainian: Бесарабка) is an indoor market located in the center of Kiev at the south-west end of Khreshchatyk, the main and best known street of the city.
The market was built from 1910-1912 to the design of H. Hay.
The name of the market originates from Bessarabia, a region conquered by the Russian Empire during the Russo-Turkish Wars and now partially located at south-western Ukraine in the Odessa Oblast.
An architectural exteriour window of the market.
View of fruit stands inside the market.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Alpine Ibex (Capra ibex)—commonly called by its German or Dutch name, steinbock or by its Latin name Capricorn—is the species of ibex that lives in the European Alps. The Spanish Ibex (Capra pyrenaica) and the Middle Eastern Nubian Ibex (Capra ibex nubiana) are very close relatives of the Alpine Ibex — the Spanish form is generally considered specifically distinct, but the Nubian is usually considered a subspecies of Alpine Ibex.

Male specimens commonly grow to a height of about 1 metre (3 feet) and reach a weight of about 100 kg (220 lb). Females are usually only half the size of males. Apart from size, males can also be distinguished by their prominent beard. Older males will tend to grow beards under their chin. Both male and female ibexes have large, backwards-curving horns although those of the male are substantially larger and can grow to an impressive length of up to 1 m. These horns are used to defend themselves from predators such as wolves, lynxes, bears, jackals and foxes. Small kids may also be susceptible to attacks from large predatory birds such as eagles. The Ibex has a brownish grey colouring in the summer which changes during the winter months to a richer, darker brown. It is related to the Nubian and Siberian ibexes.

Alpine Ibex Breeding habits
The steinbock has for a long time been regarded as a mystical animal; almost all of its body parts and its excrement were sought after as cures for various illnesses and as ingredients for magical potions. As a result of very extensive hunting, the steinbock was almost extinct as early as the beginning 19th century. Thanks to the efforts of a small group of foresters, the last remaining animals in Gran Paradiso were protected in 1816. In 1854, Victor Emmanuel II of Italy placed the animals under his personal custody. Today, after extensive and ongoing reintroduction programs, the population in the wild is estimated at about 30,000.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

William Percival Crozier
William Percival Crozier (1 August 187916 April 1944) was a British journalist and editor of the Manchester Guardian from 1932, when he succeeded Ted Scott, who had died in a sailing accident, until his death in 1944.
Crozier was born at Stanhope in County Durham on 1 August 1879, the youngest son of Rev. Richard Crozier, a Methodist minister, and his wife, Elizabeth Hallimond. He was educated at Manchester Grammar School and Trinity College, Oxford, where he gained a first class degree in Classics (1900).
After leaving Oxford he spent a year as a schoolmaster in Knaresborough, before abandoning teaching for journalism, joining first The Times and then the Manchester Guardian in 1903. He made an impression with his critical analysis of the case for tariff reform, and quickly came to the attention of the Guardian's then editor, C. P. Scott, who, recognising Crozier's potential, made him his right-hand man at the paper in charge of news gathering. In 1912 Crozier was made news editor and in 1918 military critic. He also later served as foreign editor. Under Scott, Crozier reorganized the Guardian's foreign news service, increased the use of photographs and maps, encouraged new features and introduced the daily crossword in 1929. He also developed a deep commitment to Zionism and became "the leading advocate in the daily press of a Jewish national home." (Morris)
Crozier was made a member of the Manchester Guardian's board and was appointed editor in April 1932 after the death of Edward Taylor Scott. Crozier's appointment was in part intended to guarantee editorial continuity, and he maintained a close control over the paper, frequently contributing leading articles and editorials. Foreign news had always been Crozier's chief interest and his editorship coincided with the establishment of the National Socialist regime in Germany and the Second World War. Working closely with his friend and sometime German correspondent, F. A. Voigt, Crozier "considered it no less than his duty personally and persistently to expose the Nazis" (Morris) and he pursued this policy with a crusading zeal until the very end. In the late 1930s his health became increasingly frail and he suffered from a perforated ulcer in 1936. In 1943 he was diagnosed with the heart condition which proved ultimately to be fatal.
Crozier died at his Manchester home on 16 April 1944, aged 64.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Russian constitution
For the constitution of the Imperial Russia, see Russian Constitution of 1906
This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Russia
The current Constitution of the Russian Federation (Russian: Конститу́ция Росси́йской Федера́ции) was adopted by national referendum on December 12, 1993. It replaced the previous Soviet-era Constitution of April 12, 1978 of Russian Soviet Federated Socialist Republic following the Russian constitutional crisis of 1993.
Of all registered voters, 58,187,755 people (or 54.8%) participated in the referendum. Of those, 32,937,630 people (54.5%) voted for adoption of the Constitution.

President: Vladimir Putin

  • Presidential Administration
    Security Council

    • Prime Minister: Mikhail Fradkov
      Federal Assembly

      • Federation Council
        State Duma
        Judiciary (Russian Constitution)

        • Constitutional Court
          Supreme Court
          Supreme Court of Arbitration
          Public Chamber
          State Council
          Law system
          Political parties Elections in Russia

          • President: 2000 - 2004 - 2008
            Parliamentary: 2003 - 2007
            Central Election Commission
            Federal subjects
            Human rights
            Foreign relations Declaration of adoption
            The constitution is divided into two sections.


            Fundamentals of the Constitutional System
            Rights and Liberties of Man and Citizen [1]
            Russian Federation
            President of the Russian Federation
            Federal Assembly
            Local Self-Government
            Constitutional Amendments and Revisions See also

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Baron and Feme
Baron and Feme, in English law, is a phrase used for husband and wife, in relation to each other, who are accounted as one person. Hence, by the old law of evidence, the one party was excluded from giving evidence for or against the other in civil questions, and a relic of this is still preserved in the criminal law.
Baron and Feme, in heraldry, is a term used when the coats-of-arms of a man and his wife are borne per pale in the same escutcheon, the man's being always on the dexter (right) side, and the woman's (or, more precisely, the woman's father's) on the sinister (left). This is the normal way of displaying a married couple's arms together; only when the woman is a heraldic heiress is it not used (in such a case her arms are displayed on her husband's on an inescutcheon of pretence).

Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Homomonument is a memorial in the centre of Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands. It commemorates all gay men and lesbians who have been subjected to persecution because of their homosexuality. Opened on September 5, 1987, it takes the form of three large pink triangles made of granite, set into the ground so as to form a larger triangle, on the bank of the Keizersgracht canal, near the historic Westerkerk church.
The Homomonument was designed to "inspire and support lesbians and gays in their struggle against denial, oppression and discrimination." It was built as an initiative in May 1979 of the Dutch gay and lesbian rights movement, with the support of groups in other countries.
The idea of a permanent memorial to gay and lesbian victims of persecution dated from 1970, when gay activists were arrested for attempting to place a lavender wreath at the National War Memorial on Dam Square in the centre of Amsterdam. The wreath was removed by police and denounced as a disgrace.
The triangular theme is based on the pink triangle symbol, which was worn by gay men imprisoned in the concentration camps of Nazi Germany and was later adopted as a symbol of the gay rights movement. Up to 50,000 gay men died during the Nazi era.
Although the Homomonument is often described as a memorial to the gay victims of Nazi persecution, it is intended to commemorate all gay men and lesbians who have suffered, and continue to suffer, persecution in all countries and in all ages.
It took eight years to raise the necessary 180,000 euros to build the Homomonument. Most of this came from donations from individuals and organisations. The Dutch Parliament donated 50,000 euros, and the city of Amsterdam and the province of North Holland also made contributions.
In 1980 artists were invited to submit designs and a jury was assembled consisting of experts in the fields of art and design. The jury chose a design by Karin Daan, based on the pink triangle. With the triangle on the water as its central point, Daan expanded the design to make her work as monumental as possible without disrupting the surroundings.
As well as the triangle on the canal, which has a set of steps leading to the water where floral wreaths are frequently laid, there is a triangle on land 60cm high and a memorial triangle at street level. The three triangles--each measuring 10 meters (30 feet) on each side-- together form a larger triangle connected on each side by a thin row of pink granite bricks. This larger triangle measures 36 meters on each side.
The alignments of the three points of the larger triangle are symbolic. One points towards the National War Memorial on Dam Square. One points towards the house of Anne Frank, the Jewish girl who was deported to her death by the Nazis. The third points towards the headquarters of COC Nederland, the Dutch gay rights group founded in 1946.
(COC originally stood for Cultuur en Ontspannings-Centrum, or Centre for Culture and Leisure, which was intended as a "cover" name for its real purpose. It is the oldest continuously operating gay and lesbian organisation in the world.)
On the triangle pointing towards the Anne Frank House is engraved a line of poetry by the Dutch Jewish presumedly gay poet Jacob Israël de Haan (1881-1924): Naar Vriendschap Zulk een Mateloos Verlangen ("Such an endless desire for friendship"). The text is from his poem To a Young Fisherman.
A miniature version of the Homomonument can be seen at The Hague's Madurodam park. The scale model was unveiled on October 24, 2006, by Amsterdam mayor Job Cohen and COC chair Frank van Dalen.
Coordinates: 52.374443° N 4.884758° E

Friday, April 18, 2008

Danah Boyd
Danah Michele Boyd (born Danah Michele Mattas in 1977) is an American academic, researcher, and blogger best known for media appearances where she speaks about social networking sites such as Friendster and MySpace. Since 2003, she and her research have been quoted on the subject of social networking in dozens of different articles in media sources such as NPR,

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Institute of Technology, Tallaght
Institute of Technology, TallaghtInstitute of Technology, Tallaght Institiúid Teicneolaíochta, Tamhlacht
Institute of Technology, Tallaght (ITT) formerly Regional Technical College, Tallaght, located in Tallaght, County Dublin, Ireland. The institute was established in 1992 the final new Regional Technical College opened in Ireland.
In 2005 the institute adopted the abbreviated title of ITT Dublin, to differentiate it from IT Tralee; this does not change the legal name which continues to be "Institute of Technology, Tallaght" as confirmed in the Institutes of Technology Act 2006.
The institute offers a variety of courses including: Higher Certificates and Bachelors Degrees as well as Postgraduate courses in: accountancy, business, computing, engineering and science among others.
The institute is the hub of the ITnet network.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

This is a list of craters on the Moon. The large majority of these features are impact craters. The crater nomenclature is governed by the International Astronomical Union, and this listing only includes features that are officially recognized by that scientific society.

List of craters on the Moon Craters

Lunar crater locations
List of features on the Moon
List of maria on the Moon
List of mountains on the Moon
List of valleys on the Moon
Planetary nomenclature

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Kattegat incident
In 1965 the K-33 was involved in a radiation emergency in the Arctic, involving dehermeticity of fuel elements.

Soviet submarine K-33 Technical specifications

Varimaa, Jaakko (2007). Sukellusvene sumussa. Revontuli. ISBN 978-952-5170-67-2. 
Ilta-Sanomat 4 April 2007

Monday, April 14, 2008

Paul Brady (born Paul Joseph Brady, 19 May 1947, Strabane, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland) is an Irish singer-songwriter, whose work straddles folk and pop. He was into a wide variety of music from an early age. During his career he has passed through several major bands and on to a successful solo phase.
Brady began performing as a hotel piano player in Donegal at the age of sixteen before becoming a guitarist, during the 1960s, in two rhythm and blues bands: Rockhouse and the Cult. There followed a stint with The Johnstons as a guitarist and singer that ended in 1974, and a shorter one with Planxty that saw Brady touring extensively but recording no albums. In 1976, Brady recorded an album with Andy Irvine that he now regards as his best. Welcome Here Kind Stranger, released in 1978 was the summation of his interest in Irish music and was followed in 1981 by the appropriately named Hard Station, Brady's engagement with commercial rock. Brady went on to record several other albums and collaborated with Bonnie Raitt and Richard Thompson. In 2006 he collaborated with Cara Dillon on the track "The Streets of Derry" from her album After the Morning. He has also worked with Fiachra Trench.
He performed Gaelic songs as a character in the 2002 Matthew Barney film Cremaster 3.

Paul Brady Solo discography

Welcome Here Kind Stranger (1978)
Hard Station (1981)
True for You (1983)
Back to the Centre (1985)
Full Moon (1986)
Primitive Dance (1987)
Trick or Treat (1991)
Songs & Crazy Dreams (Compilation) (1992)
Spirits Colliding (1995)
Nobody Knows: The Best of Paul Brady (Compilation) (1999)
Oh What a World (2000)
The Liberty Tapes (2002)
Hawana Way (2003)
Say What You Feel (2005)

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thomas BouchThomas Bouch
Sir Thomas Bouch (IPA: [baʊtʃ]) (25 February 1822 - 30 October 1880) was a railway engineer in Victorian Britain.
He was born in Thursby, Cumbria, England and lived in Edinburgh. He helped develop the caisson and the roll-on/roll-off train ferry. He also built a number of railway bridges, at Belah and Deepdale on an important cross-Pennines route (now defunct, but which survived until the era of Dr Beeching in the 1960s.

Tay Bridge
He designed the first Tay Rail Bridge whilst working for the Edinburgh and Northern Railway. Queen Victoria travelled over it at the official opening in 1878, and she awarded him a knighthood in recognition of his achievement. However, the bridge collapsed on December 28, 1879 when it was hit by strong side winds. A train was travelling over it at a time, and 75 people died, among them Thomas Bouch's son-in-law.
The subsequent public inquiry revealed that the railway company sacrificed safety and durability to save costs. Sloppy working practices such as poor smelting and the re-use of girders dropped into the sea during construction were factors in the bridge's collapse. The inquiry concluded that the bridge was "badly designed, badly built, and badly maintained". All of the high girders section fell during the accident, and analysis of the archives has shown that the design of cast iron columns with integral lugs holding the tie bars was a critical mistake. As the engineer, Thomas Bouch was blamed for its collapse, his assistant Charles Meik, having merely left an impression that he "was aptly named", implying that he had no great influence over the design and construction.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Hamilton is located at 39°23′45″N, 84°33′54″W (39.395806, -84.564920).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 57.2 km² (22.1 mi²). 56.0 km² (21.6 mi²) of it is land and 1.2 km² (0.5 mi²) of it (2.13%) is water.

As of the census of 2000, there were 60,690 people, 24,188 households, and 15,867 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,084.3/km² (2,808.2/mi²). There were 25,913 housing units at an average density of 463.0/km² (1,199.0/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 88.94% White, 7.55% African American, 0.29% Native American, 0.45% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.46% from other races, and 1.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.58% of the population.
There were 24,188 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.5% were married couples living together, 15.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.4% were non-families. 29.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 29.9% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 14.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 92.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $35,365, and the median income for a family was $41,936. Males had a median income of $32,646 versus $23,850 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,493. About 10.6% of families and 13.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.1% of those under age 18 and 9.8% of those age 65 or over.
Hamilton is the 12th largest city in Ohio.


2003 estimated--60,763
2004 estimated--60,996
2005 estimated--61,943
2006 estimated--62,130 Historical population figures
Hamilton is served by the Hamilton City School district. The district is currently experiencing a $200 million building project that includes eight new elementary schools, a new freshman school, two completely renovated middle schools and an upgraded high school complete with two new gyms, a new media center, six new classrooms and a new cafeteria. Talawanda, Ross, and New Miami School Districts also serve corners of the city.
Miami University has a branch in the city. Miami Hamilton opened in the 1960's and now consists of seven buildings and over 3400 students. Another branch is found in nearby Middletown, Ohio and has about 2,500 students.
Badin High School, a private Catholic school serves the city and surrounding area, as well as several Catholic elementaries.

Hamilton, Ohio Trivia

William Allen, born near Hamilton, later United States Congressman
Jim Tracy, Professional Baseball Player and Manager
Scott Walker, singer, songwriter
Roger Troutman, singer, songwriter
Greg Dulli, singer, songwriter
Leroy Bonner, musician
Greg Webster, musician
Greg Stokes, Professional Basketball Player
Kevin Grevey, Professional Basketball Player
Brandon Lampley, College Basketball Player
Mark Lewis, Professional Baseball Player
Joe Nuxhall, Professional Baseball Player
Aaron Cook, Professional Baseball Player
Marty Brennaman, Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame Radio Broadcaster
Charles Richter, seismologist and creator of the Richter scale
Ray Combs, comedian and second host of Family Feud Gameshow
William Dean Howells, Author
Robert McCloskey, Author
Nan Phelps (1904-1990), American Folk Artist
Sean Holbrook, Cincinnati Politician
Mark Peck, New Zealand Member of Parliament
Mike Mehas, musician, musical director of Mike Mehas Orchestra
Rob Ervin, singer-songwriter, radio host, and published short-story author
John Cleves Symmes, Jr., soldier, philosopher
Steve Vaughn, Award Winning Radio Broadcaster
Patricia Schroeder, Former member of congress and presidential candidate
Steve Morse, guitarist of Dixie Dregs and Deep Purple
Franklin Howard Scobey, Founder of the Sigma Chi Fraternity
Susan Vaughn, contestant on CBS Television's "The Amazing Race 7"
J "the Rod" Dawg, Porn star

Friday, April 11, 2008

Coordinates: 44°56′24.92″N, 93°11′36.33″W
The University of Saint Thomas (also known as UST or simply St. Thomas) is a coeducational archdiocesan Roman Catholic institution of higher learning based in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Founded in 1885 as a Catholic seminary, it is named after St. Thomas Aquinas, a medieval Catholic theologian and philosopher who is the patron saint of learners in the Roman Catholic Church. Now a university, it currently enrolls more than 11,000 students, making it Minnesota's largest independent college or university.
Father Dennis Dease became the 14th president of the University of St. Thomas on July 1, 1991.

The main campus, built on a farm site once considered "far removed from town," is located where St. Paul's stately Summit Avenue meets the Mississippi River. The site was farmed by ex-Fort Snelling soldier William Finn, who received the property as a pension settlement after he accidentally shot himself in the hand while on guard duty.
The western edge of the campus borders the Mississippi Gorge Regional Park. Summit Avenue, which runs through the middle of the campus, is the country's longest span of Victorian homes. This tree-lined avenue includes the Governor's Mansion, F. Scott Fitzgerald's townhome, and James J. Hill's spectacular mansion.
The 78 acre (316,000 m²) St. Paul campus consists of the original 45 acre (182,000 m²) campus, five acres (20,000 m²) of adjacent properties and 28 acres (113,000 m²) of the St. Paul Seminary campus (informally referred to as the "south" campus) that was transferred in a 1987 affiliation between St. Thomas and the seminary. The beautifully landscaped campus has been used as a setting for two motion pictures.
St. Thomas is currently involved in an aggressive expansion project. The fall of 2005 marked the completion of the expedient 15-month construction of a new apartment-style residence hall. Selby Hall now sits on top of a three level underground parking ramp and houses an additional 400 residents. This is part of a larger plan to develop the land south of Summit Avenue. Recently completed is McNeely Hall, a large classroom building for Business that will replace the small, ineffective building of the same name that sits quietly next door. A new residential village, more parking ramps, and general civil engineering all have been negotiated successfully with the surrounding neighborhood. These developments are expected to begin within the next five years.
In addition, the designing of a new student center is currently in the works as the current student center, Murray-Herrick Center, is out of date and incapable of serving students and staff to the fullest extent. The new student center is slated to be placed on an existing parking lot, hold underground parking, and be large enough to contain a new cafeteria, a ballroom, offices, a gathering area, and other facilities that are currently unavailable or inefficient.
The St. Paul campus is home to most undergraduate students.

The Saint Paul campus
In fall 1992, the university opened a permanent, 150,000 square foot (14,000 m²) campus at 1000 LaSalle Ave. The first building, named Terrence Murphy Hall in May 2000, is headquarters to the university's Opus College of Business. Artist Mark Balma created one of the largest frescoes in the United States on the arched ceiling of its atrium. The seven-panel, 1,904 square foot (177 m²) fresco was completed in the summer of 1994 and portrays the seven virtues discussed in the writings of St. Thomas Aquinas.
Directly across the street is Opus Hall. The four-story, 100,000 square foot (9,000 m²) building opened in summer 1999 and is home to St. Thomas' School of Education. Connected to Opus Hall is a K-12 magnet school that also opened in 1999.
The University of St. Thomas School of Law began operations in Terrence Murphy Hall in fall 2001; the new School of Law building opened in 2003 and is located on the block south of Terrence Murphy Hall.
Schulze Hall welcomed its first students in September 2005. It is home to the university's Schulze School of Entrepreneurship, which brings together the university's graduate and undergraduate degree programs in entrepreneurship as well as its centers and institutes that provide entrepreneurship-related educational programs and services. It is part of St. Thomas' Opus College of Business, which is headquartered in adjoining Terrence Murphy Hall.

The Minneapolis campus
The Gainey Center is located on 180 acres (728,000 m²) in Owatonna just one hour south of the Twin Cities. The conference center and satellite campus was built around the French Norman-style home of the late Daniel C. Gainey who bequeathed the property to the university upon his death in 1979.

The Gainey Conference Center (Owatonna)
The University of St. Thomas Bernardi Campus is located on the west bank of the Tiber River on Lungotevere delle Armi in Rome, Italy.
Purchased by St. Thomas in November 1999, the Bernardi Campus houses St. Thomas students participating in academic programs and offers guest accommodations for visitors. Situated in the heart of the modern Prati Zone, the campus is near both the center of Rome and Vatican City.
The University of Thomas is the only university in the United States to have a formal affiliation with the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas, called the "Angelicum." The university was founded by the Dominicans in the 16th century.

The Bernardi campus (Rome)
Founded in 1885, St. Thomas began as an all-male, Catholic seminary. John Ireland, archbishop of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, started the St. Thomas Aquinas seminary, which became a liberal arts college in 1894. A gift from local railroad tycoon James J. Hill provided funds to establish the St. Paul Seminary apart from the college. In 1896, college officials made an artificial lake on campus, Lake Mennith, using water from an underground stream. Located in the lower quadrant, the shallow lake dried up in 1922. The College of St. Thomas became a military-based school for undergraduates in 1906 and awarded its first academic degrees in 1910. Before that, the school gave out two-year diplomas in commercial and classical programs. In 1915, the college and St. Thomas Military Academy for high school students split into two institutions and in 1965 the academy moved to Mendota Heights. The college later dropped its military distinction in 1922.



Father Thomas O'Gorman (1885 – 1887)
Father Edward McSweeney (1887 – 1888)
Father James Keane (1888 – 1892)
Father James Byrne (1892 – 1899)
Father John Dolphin (1899 – 1903)
Father Humphrey Moynihan (1903 – 1921)
Father Thomas Cullen (1921 – 1927)
Father John P. Foley (1927 – 1928)
Father Matthew Schumacher (1928 – 1933)
Father James Moynihan (1933 – 1943)
Father Vincent Flynn (1944 – 1956)
Father James P. Shannon (1956 – 1966)
Monsignor Terrence Murphy (1966 – 1991)
Father Dennis Dease (1991 – Present) University of St. Thomas (Minnesota) Presidents
Each year the university awards almost 2,500 degrees including four different bachelor's degrees (B.A., B.S., B.S.M.E. and B.S.E.E.). There are 88 major fields at the undergraduate level, with 59 minor fields of study and seven pre-professional programs. At the graduate and professional level, the university offers 41 master's degrees, two education specialist, one juris doctor and five doctorates.
The University of St. Thomas is a member of the Associated Colleges of the Twin Cities (ACTC), a consortium of five private liberal arts colleges. Other ACTC members are Augsburg, St. Catherine, Hamline and Macalester. This program allows students to take classes at any of the associated universities as long as the class is not offered at their home university.

The university offers its degree programs through nine divisions:
The College of Arts and Sciences includes undergraduate departments in the arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences, plus a number of interdisciplinary programs. Master's-level programs are offered in Art History, Catholic Studies, English, and Music Education.
The Opus College of Business has seven departments offering graduate and undergraduate curricula in an interdisciplinary setting. The college offers nine degree programs at the graduate level including Evening, Full-time and Executive MBAs and a Master in Business Communication. It is home to a variety of centers offering credit and noncredit seminars and a continuing-education program called the Center for Business Excellence.
The St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity offers master's- and doctoral-level degrees oriented to theological study and the practice of ministry. The school also offers a two-year pre-theology program for priesthood candidates who require additional preparation.
The School of Education offers undergraduate courses and curricula for elementary and secondary teacher licensures. Graduate study is offered leading to certificates, master's, educational specialist, and doctoral degrees.
The School of Engineering offers graduate and undergraduate engineering degrees. Located on the St. Paul campus, programs in the college are committed to leadership in engineering and industry, in innovation, and in development of the whole person. They are built upon a firm –foundation of values and global awareness, and embedded in the context of the liberal arts. The college offers bachelor of science degrees in mechanical engineering (B.S.M.E.) and electrical engineering (B.S.E.E.), masters degrees in manufacturing systems engineering (M.M.S.E), manufacturing systems (M.S.M.S.) and technology management (M.S.T.M.) The B.S.M.E. and M.M.S.E. degrees are Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET accredited.
The School of Law was re-opened in 1999 after a 66-year hiatus. The first class of 120 students was accepted in fall 2001.
The School of Social Work offers undergraduate courses and curricula for social work and chemical dependency counseling. The Master of Social Work, offered as a joint degree program with the College of St. Catherine, is designed to provide advanced professional study in social work. Dual-degree programs are offered in cooperation with Luther Seminary, the Department of Theology at the College of St. Catherine, and the St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity.
Master's- and doctoral-level degrees are offered in counseling psychology. A certificate in family psychology also is offered.
These programs offer master's-level programs in software engineering.

College of Arts and Sciences
Opus College of Business
Saint Paul Seminary School of Divinity
School of Education
School of Engineering
School of Law
School of Social Work
Graduate School of Professional Psychology
Graduate Programs in Software Engineering Schools and colleges
Athletics have been important at St. Thomas since the institution first opened in 1885. In the first 20 years, intramural baseball teams were quite popular. The Tommies' school colors -- purple and gray -- evolved from the "Blues" and the "Grays," the top intramural baseball teams in the 1890s.
Varsity intercollegiate sports began in 1904, and St. Thomas celebrated its 100th year of varsity athletics in 2003-2004. (Varsity football didn't play during World War II in 1943, thus the 2004 season was the 100th season of varsity football).[1]
St. Thomas leads the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference in NCAA Division III Team Championships won with 10. Their longtime archrival is St. John's University from Collegeville, Minnesota.
The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported in a mid-1990s article that St.Thomas University was considering making a jump to Division I in athletics. Those rumors diminished soon after.

NCAA Division III
The University of St. Thomas is a member of the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC).
The school colors are purple and gray. The team mascot is "Tommie." Athletics

Women's Softball - 2nd in the Nation
Women's Golf - 2nd in the Nation
Men's Lacrosse National Champions
Men's Hockey - 2nd in the Nation
Women's Softball - National Champions
Women's Softball - National Champions
Men's Baseball - National Champions
Men's Baseball - 2nd in the Nation
Men's Hockey - 2nd in the Nation
Men's Baseball - 2nd in the Nation
Women's Outdoor Track - 2nd in the Nation
Women's Cross Country - 2nd in the Nation
Women's Basketball - National Champions
Women's Cross Country - 2nd in the Nation
Women's Cross Country - National Champions
Men's Cross Country - National Champions
Women's Cross Country - National Champions
Men's Indoor Track - National Champions
Women's Cross Country - 2nd in the Nation
Men's Cross Country - National Champions
Women's Cross Country - National Champions
Women's Cross Country - 2nd in the Nation
Women's Outdoor Track - 2nd in the Nation
Women's Cross Country - National Champions Accomplishments
Undergraduate housing is found on the St. Paul Campus. Approximately 2400 residents live in 7 traditional halls, traditional apartment residences, quasi-on-campus apartment residence, 3 university-owned specialty houses, and the undergraduate residence for St. John Vianney Seminary. All traditional halls are single-sex, while apartment residences are single-sex by floor.
Each hall is governed and supported by its own hall council, which is part of a larger student organization called the Residence Hall Association. Hall councils plan activities and events in their own hall and support larger resident-based programming on campus. RHA as a whole deals with resident issues and serves as a liaison between residents and the larger university community.

Student housing
Brady Hall
Cretin Hall
Dowling Hall
Grace Hall
Ireland Hall
John Paul II (JPII) Hall
Murray Hall
The University of St. Thomas offers what they call special interest floors, or floors that are intended to house specific residents. Almost one third of all floors are First Year Experience floors, which consist of only freshmen. This is a nationwide practice that attempts to create a cohesive community by placing students together that will have a similar experience. UST also has a few FYE Weekend Activities floors, a newly created Catholic Women's floor, the Changing Faces of Minnesota floors, the Women in Math & Science floor, and a couple Substance Free floors.

Built in 1967 and named in honor of Archbishop William O. Brady Brady Hall is the largest male residence hall on campus.
Built in 1894, designed by famed architect Cass Gilbert, and named in honor of the first Bishop of St. Paul, Joseph Cretin
Built in 1959 and named in honor of Archbishop Austin Dowling
Built in 1913, designed by famed architect Cass Gilbert, and named in honor of the second Bishop of St. Paul, Thomas Grace
Built in 1912 and named in honor of the first Archbishop of St. Paul and founder of the school, John Ireland
Built in 1978 and named in honor of Pope John Paul II
Built in 1978 as the first female hall on campus and named in honor of Archbishop John Murray Apartment complexes

Common Ground
The Wellness House
Child Development Center Housing
Castel Milano (Catholic Studies Men's House established in Fall 2005, name relating to the house patron Saint Augustine who had his conversion in Milan
Castel Oropa (The Second Catholic Studies Men's House established in Fall 2006, name relating to place where house patron Blessed Pier Giorgo Frassati would literally run to mass every morning) Specialty houses and buildings

St. John Vianney College Seminary (SJV)
Saint Paul Seminary School of Divinity (SPS) Film and movies

Larry Bond - Game designer and author
Dottie Cannon - Miss Minnesota USA 2006
Tom Dooher, President, Education Minnesota
Vince Flynn - Author
Jim Oberstar - U.S. Congressman
Will Steger - Polar explorer
John Vachon - Photographer
Ann Winblad - Venture Capitalist
Emily Carlson - Anchor/Reporter
William Easton - Today's Groom Magazine Co-Founder
Jacob Schraufnagel - Today's Groom Magazine Co-Founder
Michael J. Hoffman - CEO, The Toro Company

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Scripting redirects here. For other uses, see script.
Scripting languages (commonly called scripting programming languages or script languages) are computer programming languages that are typically interpreted and can be typed directly from a keyboard. Thus, scripts are often distinguished from programs, because programs are converted permanently into binary executable files (i.e., zeros and ones) before they are run. Scripts remain in their original form and are interpreted command-by-command each time they are run. Scripts were created to shorten the traditional edit-compile-link-run process. The name 'script' is derived from the written script of the performing arts, in which dialogue is set down to be interpreted by actors and actresses--the programs. Early script languages were often called batch languages or job control languages. Scripting languages can also be compiled, but because interpreters are simpler to write than compilers, they are interpreted more often than they are compiled.
The term scripting language is not technical, though embedding and dependence on a larger system are usually criteria. In computer games, scripts extend game logic, tailoring the game engine to particular game data. Scripts also make applications programmable from within, so that repetitive tasks can be quickly automated. Of course, not every scripting system that grows beyond its original design and delegation acquires a new name. Full-blown in-game languages such as UnrealScript exist, and JavaScript is a very influential standard, supported by virtually every browser on the market.


Types of scripting languages

Main article: Shell script Job control languages and shells
With the advent of Graphical user interfaces came a specialized kind of scripting language for controlling a computer. These languages interact with the same graphic windows, menus, buttons, and so on that a system generates. These languages are typically used to automate repetitive actions or configure a standard state. In principle, they could be used to control any application running on a GUI-based computer; but, in practice, the support for such languages depend on the application and operating system. Such languages are also called "macro languages" when control is through keyboard interaction.

Automator Scripting programming language GUI Scripting
Many large application programs include an idiomatic scripting language tailored to the needs of the application user. Likewise, many computer game systems use a custom scripting language to express the programmed actions of non-player characters and the game environment. Languages of this sort are designed for a single application; and, while they may superficially resemble a specific general-purpose language (e.g. QuakeC, modeled after C), they have custom features that distinguish them.

Action Code Script
Emacs Lisp
Game Maker Language
Maya Embedded Language
mIRC script
Vim Scripting Language
Visual Basic for Applications
ZZT-oop Application-specific languages
An important type of application-specific scripting language is one used to provide custom functionality to dynamic web pages. Such languages are specialized for web applications and other Internet uses. However, most modern web programming languages are powerful enough for general-purpose programming.

Web programming languages

Active Server Pages
Java Server Pages
MIVA Script
XSLT Server-side

Tcl Text processing languages
Some languages, such as Perl, began as scripting languages but were developed into programming languages suitable for broader purposes. Other similar languages -- frequently interpreted, memory-managed, or dynamic -- have been described as "scripting languages" for these similarities, even if they are more commonly used for applications programming. They are usually not called "scripting languages" by their own users.

Tcl (Tool command language)
Revolution Scripting programming language General-purpose dynamic languages
A number of languages have been designed for the purpose of replacing application-specific scripting languages by being embeddable in application programs. The application programmer (working in C or another systems language) includes "hooks" where the scripting language can control the application. These languages serve the same purpose as application-specific extension languages but with the advantage of allowing some transfer of skills from application to application.
JavaScript began as and primarily still is a language for scripting inside of web browsers; however, the standardization of the language as ECMAScript has made it popular as a general purpose embeddable language. In particular, the Mozilla implementation SpiderMonkey is embedded in several environments such as the Yahoo! Widget Engine. Other applications embedding ECMAScript implementations include the Adobe products Adobe Flash (ActionScript) and Adobe Acrobat (for scripting pdf files).
Tcl was created as an extension language but has come to be used more frequently as a general purpose language in roles similar to Python, Perl, and Ruby.

Ch (C/C++ interpreter)
ECMAScript a.k.a. DMDScript, JavaScript, JScript
EOS Scripting Language
RBScript (REALbasic Script)
Windows PowerShell
Z-Script Others

List of programming languages
Domain-specific programming language
Macro and preprocessor languages
Web template languages
Ousterhout's dichotomy

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Van Wilder Taglines
Van Wilder is an outgoing, friendly, and extremely popular student who has been at Coolidge College for seven years. For the past three years he has made no effort to graduate, instead spending his time organizing parties and fundraisers, doing charity work, helping other students, and posing for figure drawing classes. But after seven years, with no return on his investment, Van's father decides it is time to cut his losses and stops paying Van's tuition. Instead of leaving, however, Van decides to find some other way to pay his way through the rest of college.
Meanwhile Gwen Pearson, a star reporter for the student newspaper, is asked to do an article on Van. It proves to be so popular that she is asked to write a follow-up article for the front page of the graduation issue. Although that would be a big win, she is rather put off when Van interprets her attempts to schedule interviews as romantic advances — especially because she already has a boyfriend. Gwen's boyfriend, Richard Bagg, happens to be the president of the student union, and the leader of a fraternity. He takes personal offense at Wilder's attempts to steal his girlfriend, and becomes very stressed out at having to deal with this burden on top of preparing for medical school and leading the Delta Iota Kappa (DIK) fraternity. Subsquently, a rivalry develops between the two men.
The rivalry grows as they perform increasingly disgusting pranks on each other. For instance, one scene involves Richard inviting Van over to a dinner with him and Gwen's family to prove a point about Van's lackadaisical attitude towards life (in which Gwen's parents are only pleased by Van's easy-going attitude, and Gwen, increasingly turned off by Richard's stress, only feels that Richard's actions were too under-handed.) In one infamous scene, Van and his friends replace the cream inside some pastries with dog semen and send them to Richard's fraternity, where the frat brothers begin eating and don't realize what it really is until it's too late.
At one point, Richard also sleeps with another woman from a sister sorority, which would be the final straw for Gwen later on. Richard also sets up Van at one of his own parties in which there are some (very) underage drinkers and reports it to the police, which leads to Van being almost expulsed. However, Van proposes an alternative punishment: that the school force him to complete a semester's worth of work in the six days remaining, and then graduate. The committee agrees to this by a three-to-two decision.
Gwen is pleased that Van is taking the initiative to get his life together; also, to get back at Richard's liaison earlier, on the day of an interview with Northwestern Medical School, immediately after a grueling exam, she laces the protein shake he enjoyed that morning with a laxative. Since there are no bathroom breaks allowed during the test, Richard has to hurry through the 2-hour exam in 20 minutes, "dialing down the middle" towards the end and disgusting the other test-takers with flatulence. Afterwards, before he can reach the bathroom, he unexpectedly runs into the medical school interview committee, and ends up defecating into a trash can right in front of them. He is briefly seen again in the film, reading Gwen's article in the school paper in the bathroom (presumably, his medical school dreams are ruined, as he mentions to Van in a deleted scene). Meanwhile, Van Wilder does well on his finals and celebrates his graduation with Gwen.
A side story of the film depicts the saga of Taj, an Indian foreign exchange student who is accepted (out of many "talented" applicants) to be Van's personal assistant. The main reason for his application for this position, Taj explains, is he wants to have sex with an American girl before he goes home. He meets a girl named Naomi, and Van pushes Taj to go for her ("Naomi- that's 'I moan' backwards," Van explains) but Taj accidentally sets himself on fire with massage oil. At the end of a movie, Taj meets another Indian girl, and it seems like they are going to hit it off.

Van Wilder Plot synopsis

Ryan Reynolds as Vance "Van" Wilder Jr.
Tara Reid as Gwendolyn "Gwen" Elizabeth Pearson
Kal Penn as Taj Mahal Badalandabad
Paul Gleason as Professor McDougal
Tim Matheson as Vance Wilder Sr.
Daniel Cosgrove as Richard "Dick" Bagg
Teck Holmes as Hutch
Emily Rutherfurd as Jeannie
Tom Everett Scott as Elliot Grebb (uncredited)
Deon Richmond as "Mini Cochran"
Alex Burns as Gordon Cast
Van Wilder was released by Artisan Entertainment on VHS and DVD on August 20, 2002. The DVD was presented in rated and unrated editions, both editions containing a cropped full-frame transfer, and a widescreen version in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio. The two-disc set also contained interactive topless menus featuring model Ivana Bozilovic, who is "Naomi" in the film. With each new menu, she would take her shirt off and put another shirt on with different options on it. Bonuses included deleted scenes, outtakes, three Burly Bear TV specials, a Comedy Central: Reel Comedy TV special, "Bouncing Off the Walls" music video performed by Sugarcult, trailers and other promotional material like television ads and poster art.
On November 28, 2006, in a way of promoting the sequel to Van Wilder, National Lampoon's Van Wilder: The Rise of Taj, Lions Gate Home Entertainment released a 2-disc special edition DVD with new bonus features including a "Drunken Idiot Kommentary" (featuring three young men who are not actually involved in the film), behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with the cast and crew. The re-release did not include the topless menus from the previous set.

DVD release(s)
Featured in the film are songs by The Living End, Jimmy Eat World, Sum 41, Abandoned Pools, Sugarcult, N.E.R.D., American Hi-Fi, Zero 7's Sia Furler, and Swirl 360. Some artists with songs left off of the the soundtrack included Atomic Kitten, Sprung Monkey, Bird 3, Spymob, and Tahiti 80.
Artemis Records released the official soundtrack, though the tracklisting does not exactly match the lineup heard in the movie. It omits the Sugarbomb song "Hello".

Box office totals

National Lampoon
National Lampoon's Van Wilder: The Rise of Taj
Johnny Lechner